Monday 24 May 2004

James said that I shouldn't go back to bed the morning after an all-nighter. Many people are of the opinion that he's talking out of his bottom, it would appear, but here I am, in fine fettle. Thanks James.
Does seem a little long. I think my mind would wander well before 12 hours was up.
Ah, well. This had been thought of. It was all very arranged, with breaks, and with different subjects to pray over. It went remarkably quickly I thought, considering. There was food, and songs, and readings, and even arts and crafts, though I declined, and walking to campus (barefoot, in my case and in James') occasionally pausing, with the intention of handing out sweets to Lemmyers at chucking out time. Should think we'll be in Exepose at some point. Either side of the vigil were two fairly inactive days., but my bedroom is tidy now, for a change.

I seem to have been deluded about how long my contract was for. At any rate, I now know that I have no guaranteed job after December, but it's still a bit early to be chasing jobs I think. P'raps I should get my CV up to speed.
These silent retreats in the Ignatian tradition are open to Christians of any denomination who wish to step back from everyday life to review their journey of faith and be strengthened in their vocation as disciples of the (sic - this is indeed an arbitrarily unfinished sentence)

An individually directed retreat enables each person the maximum opportunity for space and prayer. Each retreatant will meet a spiritual companion once a day, and together you will discuss how best to use this time of retreat. The companion will help you to pray using scripture and your own experience of life. Together you will try to discern what God is saying to you at this time. The retreat will be made in silence to help you to pray and to leave other retreatants equal opportunity for reflection.

You are requested to bring with you a Bible and a notebook, and any creative material. It is suggested that you do not bring radios or other books: rather let this retreat be a precious space where you can be alone with God.

These retreats will be led by members of the Plymouth Diocesan Ignatian Spirituality Group, who will act as companions to the retreatants. They have all received training from Jesuit Spiritual Directors at Centres for Ignatian Spirituality.
Was thinking of going on one of these, a six day one. Six days of silence might be a bit difficult, and it's not like I'm usually running off at the mouth, only when I'm having fun.

I guess we should probably have sorted out Pembrokeshire by now. I should phone Adrian and Emma.