Thursday 1 April 2004

I wouldn't say that I was doing a lot of thinking this evening, but I was thinking. RCIA was on the theme of new beginnings, which is - ahem - apt.

The world seems full of people who, though not queueing up to lynch me, obviously don't understand why anyone would become a Catholic, least of all myself. I can see why they might not, but sooner or later I'm going to have to, for my own spiritual sake even if for no-one else's, get a little more acquainted with why I believe in a catholic and apostolic church over and above churches which view themselves as one amongst many.

On the other side of the fence, I have about 2000 years of Christianity to get acquainted with. It's all a bit much when you thought you had your education out of the way. I figure I'll start small, like reading Justin Martyr's work, whose name, btw, I think I'll take on.

These are bizarre times. Please pray for me.