Thursday 3 May 2007

Jobs and Things

Well. I didn't get the job in Cheltenham. The upside to this is that we don't have to move 200miles away having just bought a house. The downside is that I'm not really sure what to do with myself. I'm quite envious of Emma, in that she's found a vocation (as opposed to a career). I'm thinking that something technical and slightly geeky would be my cup of tea, preferably using some amount of maths. Actuarial careers seem a sensible way to go, although one of Anna's friends works in fraud detection for a bank: setting up proceedures to find dodgy customers. Quite stats based apparently, and maybe interesting.

I'm starting a temping job on Tuesday, which will help my (non-existant) finances no end. Corrections are going ok. I've given my notice to submit (again) for the end of the month, so I might just make July graduation. Even if I just miss it, at least I'll be finished. One interesting by-product of my visit to Leicester (giving a talk & chatting with external examiner about corrections) is that I've been given several ideas of ways in which to extend my research - just when I'm desperately trying to get out of uni. Typical, eh? I'll be making the most of this week to do corrections, then finishing off in the evenings after work. I don't think I can justify any more full-time university, as 1) I'm sick of it, and 2) it doesn't pay a penny.

Any thoughts on careers directions would be appreciated. I'll be cracking on with finding a proper job as soon as I've submitted my revised thesis.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have no idea what I'm going to do either. Have you tried the careers service? Also there's a job fair on in the Armitage in June that I'm going to.