Wednesday 31 December 2003

Hello. I got just this one last full day at home. If you're going to blog this holiday could you do it this evening? Worth a shot... And if anyone gets back to Exeter early and is at a loose end, you're very welcome to swing by. As soon as I get some hoover bags the place should look almost respectable.

Haven't done so very much today. Went to a pub quiz yesterday with Emma (who's here btw), Adrian, Nicholas and one of Nicholas' friends from Orchestra, Sam. He's still doing his A-levels, but he must be clever and weird, 'cos he seems to be set to go to Durham or Oxford to do Chemistry. The quiz was rubbish, needless to say that's why we didn't win. It was "Family Fortunes", which is bad enough, but the for the first four questions it was multiple choice. This country. I didn't know the monkey puzzle sold Flowers until I espied it on the price list, but I was a penny shy of my goal. Fortunately the nice barchap let me have a pint anyway.

So this morning I did not much. I read some more Psalms. I find Psalms a bit difficult to read because a) it's a bit similar after a while and b) when you've read it all before it's even harder to keep track of where you are. I'm up to Part III: Return of the Psalms. I bought, off Amazon, a diglot edition of the Apostolic Fathers to mull over, and I finished reading 1 Clement, or, as the editor/translator calls it, "The Letter of the Romans to the Corinthians". How'm'I supposed to make any sense of the early church when everyone disagrees about it so intelligently?

Watched a bit of the Simpsons. They've got to axe that show now. The new stuff's embarrassing. Malcolm was better. I taped some "missing believed wiped" episodes of various things the other day, and I watched a couple of them this morning. The Spike Milligan one was largely crap, and then I got see an old episode of something called Comedy Playhouse. I guess Comedy Playhouse was the kind of thing that they do on Radio 4 now, a showcase of one-offs for writers. It's a good idea, but I guess it's not tenable in this multi-media age. Then I made us some pasta. It wasn't bad, and I mean that literally.

Gonna watch a Muppets Christmas movie I haven't seen before and then in the evening go to Ruth's and do stuff.

Have a happy new year everybody.