Tuesday 2 September 2003

Hello. Among other things this morning, I've finally got round to seeing just how bad at maths I am. I did the practise tests for the interview first. I did okay on everything apart from the number stuff. I still remember how to do various sums and stuff, just not in my head. I got an A for maths at GCSE (notably not for English lit) but I've apparently been avoiding maths too studiously for the past five years. I tested myself on my multiplication tables by filing in one of those 12x12 grids. Took me about quarter of an hour, which sounds terrible, but when you have 124 boxes to fill in, that's seven and a bit per minute. Still, it's not great. I'm downloading cheesy kid's software. I wish there was a Mental Arithmetic of the Dead game. I seem to remember we had a more prosaic game on our ZX48k where you caught apples. Actually I think that was a typing tutor. Ah well, back to it.