Sunday 14 September 2003

Take a look at this. Go on, it won't hurt you or nothing. Not bad, I thought. What a good thing comics are, and you can't put a price on a quick snigger can you? But let's forget that for a second, and consider. How much do you think that cartoon is worth in horribly crass, commercial terms? Let's not forget that it is a three panel comic strip which is over a decade old.

Now, was the figure you thought of $110? No? Really? That's very odd; that's what a one-time web reprint fee costs. Tight bastards.

A quick trip upstairs and calculation based on the price of one of Neil's Calvin and Hobbes collections ($6.95) and the approximate number of cartoons in it (363) tells me that I can get slightly better value at two cents per strip. I could in fact buy 15 anthologies, each containing about 363 cartoons for $110. What kind of maniac thinks that anyone with an ounce of sense would pay that much?!

So I linked to it instead.