Thursday 8 May 2003

I contrived to read The Witch of Edmonton before the meeting somehow, which was dashed convenient. It's an odd sort of a play, with curiosities which sound engaging on paper, but somehow I couldn't get myself worked up about it. It's ostensibly about an ordinary village, which is odd in itself, and is also based on real events. From the appendix in my edition:
The wonderful discovery of Elizabeth Sawyer, a Witch, late of Edmonton, her conviction and condemnation and death.

Together with the relation of the Devil's access to her and their conference together.

Written by Henry Goodcole, Minister of the Word of God, and her continual visitor in the Gaol of Newgate.

So there you go. I could go into do detail with regards to my views about it's veracity, but I haven't exactly examined it in depth - it'd be quite pointless. Suffice to say, Goodcole professes cynicism, though Sawyer herself admits to a number of extraordinary, witchy type things. However, she also denies charges of similar gravity in fairly equal measure.

After finishing that, I got into G.K. Chesterton's Orthodoxy, which I'm still reading. But I had to go to the meeting anyway, so I did. As always, our amazing teaching plan is to all research a bit, then meet up on the day, and propel ourselves through it by desperation. After this, I had some printing to do, bits of dissertation, in case of computer-crashery and a 2000 word extract to wave at Margaretta, in case she wanted one. I put 'em on the print queue, and found Felix, another English student that I know behind me. I said hello, and he revealed that he'd just crashed the printstation. Excellent. On the way home, there was this random girl outside a peripheral university building by the Imperial with a clipboard. "This might sound a bit strange" quoth she, "but I've been told to hug ten people that I don't know today." I obliged, and went on my merry way. When I got in, Paul was there. I asked him whether it was the drama department that she was by - Thus it was. It all makes sense now.

James completed Zelda. I (and James) started off by being very unimpressed by Ganon(dorf)*, but in the end, he was really cool. Obviously the combat method in Zelda is nothing like your beat-em-up proper (roll on Soul Calibur II), but the graphic designer's obviously weren't to know this, because Ganon was the (nasty) man. I couldn't be bothered to go to choral society. I really should go to bed early sometime soon.