Wednesday 7 May 2003

I got going fairly early today, amazing myself by doing a respectable amount of work despite not feeling like getting up for a bout the past week, which isn't exactly very me. I then settled down to a little Zelda, cruelly making James stop just as we got back to Hyrule.

Went to the pre-seminar study-group to find, to my dismay, that next week's text is The Witch of Edmonton rather than Othello. Unfortunately, this means that I need to read it all tonight in preparation for an extra seminar. I'm meant to be teaching on it. Ho hum. I was soooooooo tired it wasn't funny at the seminar proper, but I did score a good quantity of "Starburst" confections for answering quiz questions on Edward II. They presumably had gelatin in, so I gave them away. Karen slyly asked me if I was thinking of doing an MA next year. Well...
I'm in a park and I'm practically dead. What good's the countryside going to do me?

It's a good thing to hear anyway.

* * *

I had a vague idea of going to Mass on Wednesday since bumping into Richard, who James is sponsoring for entry into the Catholic church, on Monday. James said he was going to go, so I did. We saw many more cars than are usual on entering, but the only additional people who might have cars that I noticed at Mass were two women, and there were a few more than two cars. Later we found that a convocation of clergy had been scheming in the back rooms. I was still rather tired, and had intended to go straight back home, CathSoc notwithstanding, but we slyly opened the bar for one of the women, who was a previous CathSoc member, but didn't want to impose. Pound a pint at the ark bar, so James, Lisa, myself and the two ladies hung around chatting for a while. Neither James or I can actually remember their names*, but they did introduce themseves. The more talkative had a very Catholic name; I think it contained T(h)eresa. She'd found that the chaplaincy had a lending library and decided to pop in with her friend. She was also a student here in 1991, and by an amazing co-incidence, the chaplain resident in 1991 was among those in the back, so she kept popping out of the bar to try and catch him. Topics we somehow managed to get good conversational mileage out of:

  • Theology (as a subject)

  • Childhood injuries

  • Smoking

  • The Bible Challenge, a board-game which has suddenly appeared in the bar

  • The Chaplaincy Through Time (Bouffant haircuts & degrees of Earnestness)

  • The paucity of places to get Catholic books


It was all very good fun, and I believe they even decided to come back next week.

P.S. I do know when I haven't blogged, fair readers. In such times of crisis, it is important to remember that there is a real world to explore; failing that, plenty of other .html documents to refresh.