Tuesday 1 July 2003

I didn't blog yesterday firstly because I wanted to get on with going to town, then because I wanted to get on with coming back to Exeter and then when I got back I was realy tired and couldn't be bothered. Here we go then-

Went to town as soon as possible after making myself presentable. I asked about temporary vacancies in local government and they said they were advertised in the local papers, so I shall watch out when I get back. Then I just did the rounds in terms of temporary agencies. I'm going to e-mail my CV to three of them today. They're pretty much full in terms of students so they didn't bother with a hard-copy. I was expecting this. I didn't feel disappointed until Dad suggested that I should. Bah. Anyway, it wasn't all bad; I went to one place that didn't want anyone without office experience (to wit, me) but they directed me to a place that didn't complain about being full up with students and even gave me a couple of typing tests. Theysaid Iwas abity below average on the number one, but that I "did well" on the alphanumeric one. I wasn't convinced, but here's what mynew pieces of paper say:
Numeric - Form 1 (UK) Test
[...]
  Gross key strokes per hour  4788
Alphanumeric - Form 1 (UK) Test
[...]
  Gross key strokes per hour  6912
So there you are. I went home and cooked dinner for Dad and Nick; used Mino's recipe, but I didn't put enough basil in.

So then I drove back in the Xantia, which wasn't a great deal of fun. As soon as I thought I'd really better take a break, the places in which one takes breaks seemed to vanish. I headed for the M5 too early I think, and even when I came off that, I ended up coming the long, wrong way into Exeter where you end up near Belmont. It was about 1730, so I caught all the outbound traffic. I then had to go to Loyes' to get my key off Neil and deliver his mail. I had issues driving in. Neil said he was in the laundry room. I didn't know where the laundry room was, predictably enough. When I got home, I found that the insurance documents hadn't arrived, and therefore I couldn't get a parking permit for the Xantia, at which point I despaired greatly. James was playing Sanity's Requiem (note the orthodox use of the possessive apostrophe) so I had a chat with Andy in his room. It was a bit dark; the conversation I mean. He also said that I looked absolutely "shagged out", I think his words were. Then bought some Bodingtons, burnt some toast and put beans on it, retreated into my room and read Prince Caspian.

n.p. Joy Division "Isolation"