Wednesday 16 July 2003

I got up at about 0730 to go to Birks. Prior to signing the contract for my place next year, I arranged accomodation for graduation in Birks, but I thought I'd rather crash. However, I wasn't going to throw away a paid-for breakfast, so I didn't. It also meant that I got the complimentary toiletries. Met Emma and one of her parents, and of one of her friends who also had a parent on the way to breakfast, so I ate with them. I went back to my room to change, but there's not much to do when you're dressed up for a graduation and you've got quarter of an hour to go, so I sat in the car, and read more Austen. It was a stuffy day, and the windows had just steamed up nicely, despite a window being open, when Fr. Paul came out and noticed me and said hello. I think he went off to Crediton then.

The ceremony itself was everything I had been expecting, which is to say it was a bit like a protracted school assembly. The honorary degree guy was an Asian theatre director who said that the East India Company was very exciting and adventurous, and that's what it's going to be like for all us adventurous graduates. Chaps have to remove and replace their mortar-boards. onstage whereas non-chaps get to leave it on; not fair. Then I met up with Mum and Dad in the Great Hall car park for more photos, and then I went on to the official photos, which took longer. Met a few peopl, including Mary, and smiley Beth and then wandered back Duryardward to drive home. The Micra has a sticker in the back which says "Thank God for Jesus", which isn't the most witty thing I've ever seen. I wonder how you might improve on the concept... "Christian: How's my driving?" was as far as I got. The journey home also afforded me an opportunity to listen to most of Mark and Lard and Chris Moyles on the way backl, which is good. And I've decided, based in the Moyles interview, that while I am in no danger of buying any Daniel Bedingfield records, I do like him. He wants locking up, but he seems like a very nice chap. Very enthusiastic. He also improvved (sp? - who can say?) a drum and bass version of "Don't worry be happy", which is a definite plus point. He's really good at the human beatbox stuff; I wish him well. Now I am at home and can finally stop all this blogging.