Monday 7 July 2003

My room is now sorted. I put it all away, or in the bin. I decided to have my guitar in my room too, so that I can blast it through my expensive (for me) amp, but it's a bit squashed. I shall see how it goes. I kept on finding random things and seeing if Nicholas wanted them, like a copy of The Communist Manifesto that I had printed out from Project Gutenberg, and Freud's essay on the uncanny (unheimlich?). I was always rather disappointed with The Communist Manifesto; it's not very good. I'm not clever enough to read Das Kapital though; I tried that once.

I ran out of steam from thereon in, and I thought that I should perhaps read my bible. I haven't for a while; finished Job a bit ago, and then got into Narnia. I think I must be about to start on the major prophetss, but for some unfathomable reason I feel like skipping to Jeremiah, rather than reading Isaiah, so perhaps I shall. What I actually ended up reading was more of A New Eusebius, which was interesting - Clement of Alexandria and Origen. They're a somewhat confusing pair. I think it was Clement who called Christians to be perfect gnostics. Such statements as these understandably make everyone a bit suspicious, but they have their advocates as well. Clement, I think, was dropped off the list of saints a bit later becasue the pope thought he was dodgy. They were very into their philosophy, so everything's a bit strange and speculative.

My parents were good enough to take me out for a meal last night, which was very good. There doesn't seem to be much to say about it, but I think I might say what I had.
  • Wexford-style mushrooms with stilton

  • Layered squash, goat's cheese and vegetable pie

  • Summer pudding with custard
Had we been able to get the wine we wanted, I would be able to tell you what it was, but they were out and we had some manner of Qualitatswein which was rather good.

The Summer really started for me when I picked up Emma last night and started reading it. It would be a wonderful thing to have read all the books I own by the end of the summer. A for Austen.