Saturday 16 August 2003

Gah. Among other things this morning, I bashed the base of my spine against our towel rack, and it hurts quite a bit occasionally. What is one meant to do? Get on with your life or lie down for a portion of it?

More cheerfully, we saw a woodpecker on the lawn this morning. Perhaps it thinks there is parquet under the turf. Anyway, I saw a woodpecker yesterday. I think I am fairly unobservant, especially in the area of natural science, but I did notice that the red bit on this bird's head seemed to have become particularly vivid since yesterday. As this occured to me, another woodpecker joined it, which had a more subdued red bit. I assume they are a couple. How nice.

* * *

I wasn't feeling too bad first thing, so when Nicholas said "Do you want to go into town?" (i.e. "Walking to town on my own will be boring.") I said I would. So we went down to town and he got Time Crisis II and two guns. This is an awesome game. I especially like the bit in the first level on speedboats. Everyone complains about it being too short but Nick and I have only completed it the once by cheating (we played it with a gun each as though we were only one player with two guns, and this in "very easy" mode), so there's life in the old dog yet. Also, it's got this great clay-pigeon shooting simulation. We cheated so that we could unlock a section where you complete various missions, which is also very good. I've already confused today with tomorrow, but never mind.

In the evening we went somewhere or other to eat some very nice food, which I had with Grimberger Blond Klosterbier. Those monks know a thing or two about beer-making; it was something like 6% and tasted like lager, very clever.

When we got back from that, I was tired and wanted to go to bed, but Dad had the idea that we should play scrabble so we did. Everyone else had a bad game, and I suppose, relatively speaking, that I did too. I won anyway, but I'd rather have been asleep. Indeed I almost was at many points.