Wednesday 27 August 2003

Hello. Today I went to Exeter with Neil. On the way we listened to Radio 3. The presenter seemed to be in a daft mood, playing a piece from an operetta I think, in which vegetables take over the world. Actually, scratch that; it's clearly the composer who needed to be locked up. Imagine trying to get funding for writing that. Later on was Composer of the Week. This week it's Bernstein. I wish I'd known beforehand - Bernstein rocks. Everything on it was good apart from the last piece, which went on for about half an hour. Bernstein wrote a Kaddish, which, as I understand it, is a genre of Hebrew poetry, wherein the protagonist makes a complaint against God for being abandoned, then apologises and then praises. It was rubbish - worthy, turgidly chaotic modernist stuff. It was interesting though. God came across, in Bernstein's words, narrated in the recording by his wife Felicia Montealegre, as a type of impotent old man, who after seeing what mankind had made of mankind was in great need of a hug. Very revelatory I thought.

Neil got his passport alright so we proceeded to the new house. Luke was in, and no-one else, so we wandered around a bit and I moved some boxes of things into someone or other's room. Not James'. Dan's. I was quite keen to get a key for Luke's room so that I didn't have to worry about it anymore, but some muppet had taken it already, apparently deluded. Therefore I probably added to the confusuion by taking the spare key to Adam's room, which will let me in the front door, and we should be able to sort it out later.

We went past Mere on the way back.

Neil drove all the way to Exeter, and I drove part of the way back. After the first stretch my back was regretting it, so I had to take a couple of painkillers when I got back.

In the evening I got round to phoning Vicki, and then Will and then Gavin, whose land-line I finally determined by ringing up his mobile and asking him outright. He said his interview thing went well. Vicki and I are going to meet up probably the Saturday after next, but this Saturday Will and Rosie are coming over, to play Pigeon Putt among other things. Huzzah!