Wednesday 20 August 2003

Oh, everything seems really futile today. I think I'd better go for a walk.

* * *

If anyone actually notices that I've updated this, they will notice that I missed out a rather significant event. My little walk to try and solace myself went along the idea that I needed somewhere to sit down and pray. I thought I'd try the local woods. I don't know why I ever try to find somewhere to sit down in woodland, because there never is anywhere that I'm happy wih, so I just carried on through the woods. I went a route I'd never gone down before. I knew the direction I was going in, and how not to be lost, but I didn't have great idea of where I actually was. After a little while walking, I heard a kind of crackling from the direction of the road, which I couldn't quite see. I wondered if it was some kind of vehicle breaking twigs, but it sounded a bit more like a fire. I thought I'd investigate, so I headed towards the sound. I met a couple of lads coming the other way, about sixteen years old. They just walked past. Actually, one had one of those metal scooter things. When I got near the source of the crackling, I could see that it was a fire, at the edge of a clear path right by the road. There was a whole heap of smoke. I tried to get onto the pavement on the A30, only there wasn't any. It was unadulterated A30, so I thought I had better just head back along the main path. I phoned the fire service, but couldn't give very precise directions, for all I could see was trees.

I ended up back home therefore, and having been cheated of my walk in the woods, I decided to go to town. Town isn't a great place to go with about 50p of change in your pocket. The only free things to do that I could think of were to go to the library and the little Surrey Heath museum. These I resorted to after a little pointless browsing in a few shops. The museum seemed not at all interested in Camberley, which I thought a little odd considering that that was where it was based. And then I came home.