Saturday 23 August 2003

What ho everybody! I expect I should tell you what I've been up to today. Firstly I got up and practised the songs for tomorrow. Nothing especially gruesome in there, so that's good. Mum and Dad have been away for the weekend, but today they came back with the caravan while I was descaling the kettle; the scaliness of the kettle was inhibiting my tea enjoyment y'see. By the time I'd finished attending to that with my trademark pointless thoroughness they had already parked the van, so that was good.

I'm reading John now, as you may have noticed, which is also the name of this splendid fellow who has a new blog, but it's not finished yet! I should probably mention that I finished A New Eusebius a while back too. It didn't end very dramatically. There was some stuff about Athanusius, which I frankly didn't understand, and then some extracts from Eusebius saying how great Constantine was and how he died. I was a bit confused, because I was expecting him to become pope and he didn't. I think this was Constantine the Great (b. 274-288) rather than the pope fellow. I should have known; everyone seems to have had the same name back then. I've decided that I am, on the whole, in favour of surnames. What also didn't help was that there was an extract entitled "Constantine as Bishop", which was only a chuffing metaphor. It's not what you want in a reference book. Anyway, the book as a whole raised more questions than it answered. Not a bad thing, I daresay.

I have veered away from today. Oh yes, John. I read John 5, in my RSV. John 5:39:
You search the scriptures, because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that bear witness to me[.]
Righto, I thought. I wonder if the NIV has that a little differently; I am given to understand (paradosis) that the NIV is not an especially impartial translation. I wonder if it puts a more positive spin on the scriptures:
You diligently study the Scriptures because you think that by them you possess eternal life. These are the scriptures that testify about me.

I didn't notice the "diligently" first time around, or the capitalisation of "Scriptures", but the sense of it seemed to be pretty dashed similar, so I didn't think too much of it. What caught my attention was the second bit. The NIV has a different sentence structure altogether, which means that one of these must differ in structure from the original Greek. Why? This struck me as a little rummy. One of the perks of being the son of a preacher man is that you can get an interlinear bible, in this case The NIV Interlinear Greek-English New Testament, with ease. So I did.
Ye search the scriptures because ye think in them life eternal to have; and those are the [ones] witnessing concerning me;

Fair enough I suppose. The RSV's a bit more faithful, but I guess it's the NIV's perogative to edit out a little clunkiness. I don't think Greek has punctuation (correct me if I'm wrong), but I did see capital letters, which means that the NIV have put "Scriptures" where the text doesn't suggest it. You know, I kind of wish I hadn't typed all that out - there doesn't seem to have been much point to it. I suppose it's because I'd started and I didn't want to scratch the whole thing.

Anyway, after all that frivolity I watched Whistle Down the Wind. I have no idea why it's called that. I think the review that's there is pretty dashed good, but I don't agree that "[t]his is a tough little movie that says we lose hope and the idea of faith as we mature". I mean, Cathy's one of the older kids, and she's the one who blindly hangs on, her young brother being the one who gives up on the "fella". The ending's good; it doesn't tell you what to think, only what Cathy does. I hate it when you're certain about something at the end of a movie. Well, that's a bit strong. What I mean is, I prefer not to be told.