Thursday 14 August 2003

Hmm, what to add to Nick's post...

I wasn't in town merely to have a lightly celebratory meal with my hairy brother, though it was very pleasant. I was there also in order to sign at the Jobcentre and to buy a new diary and lever-arch folder. I'm living in crazy times! Said stationery was easily purchased. I got offered work at the Jobcentre today, which was a first. Well, the first job they offered me was a first, and the second was a second I guess. Anyway, I couldn't do either of them. The first one was a permanent position, and I pointed out that I had said I was only here temporarily. Then the woman found me another job which sounded good. "I'll take it!", I said, or words to that effect, so she gave me the requisite paperwork, which I read whilst walking down the street looking for Nicholas, who was to appear with two guns and a copy of Time Crisis II. Before that didn't happen, I noticed the dreadful little phrase, "Touch typing is required", so I had to go back in and retract. I hope they don't count that as a rejection. I mean, I can't actually do the job.

I don't sign onto MSN much now for some reason, but today I did. Phil was busy remodelling for his dissertation next to tall Helen B, but had some time to chat to me, which was nice. He said he thought I'd make a good academic. Apart from the work, I think I agree with him. "Andrew" was online too, and played a few of MSN's new games with me. Mostly it was the sort of inverse minesweeper one, where he beat me the first time (I was trying to avoid mines) but then he couldn't get the better of me for the next four games. Had brief chats with John and Will too.