Friday 27 June 2003

I left my curtains open when I went to bed to make sure that I got up at 0800. It worked rather too well. I woke at 0500, thought for a bit and then went back to sleep, to have pretty good dream. Not an especially linear one. It involved meeting Derek Burnside on the way to campus and agreeing to climb mountains with him regularly next year. Nina then came along, and I was startled to discover that they knew each other,better than I knew either of them. This somehow segued arbitrarily into my being at Lancaster University. I imagine this is a fairly typical feature of dreams, but I've never bothered to check it out - the dream Lancaster was definitely Lancaster, but it was nothing like Lancaster in real life. It was more like my secondary school, but not very. Anyway, I had dinner with some people there, mass-catering style, at a big table. I knew a lot of the people, but I can't remember who they were exactly now. What I do remember was that the only food was a big OTT cake, like the kind a person might jump out of and wish you a happy birthday. It was not served in my dream, but I recall that a bees nest must have been inside, as they buzzed out of the cracks and returned at intervals. Dreams are great.