Monday 23 June 2003

Stuff to do in town today. This is why it took me aback to discover that my bag was not to be found. Not especially convenient, as I desperately needed to do food shopping. I expect I had left it at St. James, so I went there first. It was all locked up and the office had already closed by the time I got there. It was a fairly long walk to achieve nothing, but I phoned the curate and he said he'd have a look next time he was over. I did my shopping at Tesco's for a change. Bringing it home without my own bag was approximately 1.5 times as inconvenient as usual. Never mind.

I was trying to get back for 1330, as that's when Will had guessed he and Rosie were going to arrive in her Fiat Panda. They rolled in at around 1400. The house was pretty much abandoned except for me; no James at all, Andy said he was going to arrive the day before but he wasn't, and the location of the others was mysterious. We chatted for a while,wondering where on earth Gavin would be, missing the arrival of his friends from abroad. Rosie texted him. I phoned him, knowing full well the unlikeliness of him replying in the next month. He was out shopping for a suit with Rebekah. I suggested we meet him in town. Watching Gavin try on suits under Rebekah's guidance seemed like an amusing proposition. Not wrong. Will persuaded Rebekah to let Gavin go to Moss Bros so that someone who knew about suits could help him,rather than Rebekah, who had professed boredom by this stage.

Gavin and Rebekah continued shopping while Will, Rosie and I wandered back to the house so that they could drive off somewhere to do with the Summer Ball. I went round the back way, to see if there was anyone in the kitchen to let me in. There sort of was; Simon was there. I felt a bit weird about asking him to let me in, so I took the conventional route and was therefore prepared to take the presence of an "unexpected" visitor in my stride, whereas I usually walk into a wall or something similarly stupid. He had come backwith Andy,who turned up presently. Him I informed of Will and Rosie'spresence on the opposite side of the road, and he dashed off to greet them briefly, before they drove off. We then went to the Artful, as it was by then beer o' clock. Had a couple of lagers while more of Andy's friends showed up: Dan, Des and Charlie. Dan still has a weblog, but you wouldn't know it.

It's barbecue season. Andy and his friends have already had a few, as I recall, but today, I was there,so I went too. Said barbecue's glamorous location was in the overgrown backyard of Dan's house, situated next to the prison with a convenient view of the razor-wire. Bit weird, but there you go.No-one could be bothered to buy any of the stuff, so we phoned Charlie and got him to get the bread and charcoal from the local shop.No charcoal. Andy volunteered to go and get some from town, and I said I'd come with. We jumped i over the wall onto the path, I with animal grace, Andy with a painful thump. He had got his feet caught in the rail. He was in the foetal position groaning for a period, however, he thought himself lucky to still have both his knees. For some reason he still came to town to buy charcoal. Well we barbecued a fair old amount of meat and processed protein rubbish and chatted and generally had a lazy old time. When it got too cold we went indoors for a while, and finally,the majority decided to go clubbing. Simon and I wandered off home in opposite directions. I think those are the major points of my day covered.