Friday 20 June 2003

I went to the last Choral Society concert of the year yesterday. It was dashed good. Here are the pieces performed, before I forget:
  • Elgar, Promenade

  • Mozart, Ave Verum Corpus

  • Handel, Nisi Dominus

  • Holst, St. Paul's Suite

  • Haydn, Cello Concerto in C

  • Vivaldi, Gloria

On the way I ran into Adam, with whom I am living next year. He was shopping. At 1900. Weird. Somewhat surreally, I also encountered Pedro on the way, or rather he encountered me. He was cycling to the venue in a dinner jacket, which is an odd sight. The Anglican MassIve put in a decent showing. When I sat down I noticed that Liz, who is an American Catholic that I first encountered in my Arthurian seminar was there too. She was playing, but only in one pieve, which must be a bit of a drag. I had gone on myown, but Adam informed me that I would probably see Luke. He came with "the Beenas", which is to say the residents of 7 Kingdom Mews, so I sat with them. Did mention the concert was good? It was. Stella conducted one piece - I believe it was the . She also recieved a swanee whistle from conductor Paul for her to play Ride of the Valkyries on. The Gloria was the best choral piece by far.

Said Beenas invited me back to theirs for hot chocolate, so that's what I did at the end. Lucy is attending a relative's first communion on Sunday. She's never been to a Catholic church before, but she acquired the idea that I know about these things at some point,and asked me whether or not she was permitted to receive communion at one. She didn't like the answer. She said something about how in first year theology a lecturer had said that transubstantiation meant that if a mouse were to eat some of the wafer, the mouse had to be eaten. Hmm. Just some random chatting interspered by occasional Big Brother when we got there, which only Lucy and I were that interested in. I suppose the result (Fed & Jon out, Cameron in) was as good as can be expected. Lucy rushed off a bit before midnight to try and get the new Harry Potter book. I noticed that their house was amazingly organised and tidy. I left expecting to find the inverse of the presentable Beena kitchen at our house,but to my delight I found that Rebekah and Gavin had tidied it up. It was awesome.