Wednesday 18 June 2003

Today was rather fun. Because of me, and my incessant demands, we did not go canoeing yesterday, when the weather was awesome, but today, when the weather was okay with the risk of rain. At 1000, John and Joe came round to get James, Ella and myself to stroll down to the quay, where James paid a man to let us take two canoes and one kayak. James and Ella in one canoe, John and myself in t'other, and Joe going it alone in the kayak. John was steering our canoe, so I berated him. He's a good sport is John, whereas I apparently take things like not hitting the bank (almost always the left [John's] bank) too seriously. We did this a number of times on the way down to the double locks, but towards the end we were on the same pageand thunked gracefully into the landing thingy, where we landed. It was good. Exerting oneself with a goal in mind is good. A relaxing beer before midday when one is at leisure to do such things is also good. Two pints of O' Hanlon's Red before midday is probably, on balance, bad, but it was nice anyway. Everyone save John and myself had food, but Ella bought too much food, so I ate it all. It is because I hate to see food going to waste when I could make sure that roast potatoes had not beeen roasted in vain. In between these drinking and eating shenanigans, we noticed the kid's adventure playground. We improvised a path round it, and competed for the best time wothout touching the ground (5 second penalty). I went first and was unbeaten, having fallen off no times. 01:24 it was. I couldn't do it again after two pints. I fell off many times. In newfound harmony of intent, John and myself drove the canoe back to the quay at a repectable pace along with the others. Less verbal abuse this time.

John and Joe went home, but Ella wanted to go to town to try and find a book of evening and morning prayers, like this, but not online so that if she gets lost in a jungle and eaten by tigers she can still pray. She and James had already been to SPCK, but he didn't even know about Wesley Owen. I said that it was pretty unlikely to sell what she wanted, but we went anyway. I found Daff of St. Leonard's upstairs and we had a brief chat, if you can call it that. James wanted to go to Game, which was the cause of my spending far too much on a GBA port of Bubble Bobble. It's rather fun, and being a game from gaming's cassic era, it is difficult enought to be causing me issues.

When we got back from town, I took some pills and went to bed, for I had a stonking headache. I left Radio 1 switched on. It was a bit weird. Chris Moyles is away apparently, and Scott Mills was guesting. Scott Mills is one of your non-entity R1 DJs and his show is usually the epitome of tedium. Moyles occasionally takes to slagging him off on air. Oddly though, all of Moyles' 'crew' were still on the show, so it was actually rather good. They all sounded like they were having a splendid time.

A while after I awoke, James Ella and myself went to the vigil mass for Corpus Christi.1930 seems rather early for a vigil mass, but whatcha gonna do? For the homily Paul put a grapefruit in a juicer and said that Christ's one sacrifice was something like that, in that it was irrevocable and committing. After there was a BBQ. I don't have any idea how to spell Zoshia's name (it'd help if James sorted the CathSoc website out) but she took charge of the cooking, and did a sterling job of it. She had brough some friends. We had actually seen at least some of them canoeing at the same time of us already. "Hello, we were canoeing at the same time as you, we waved!" There were peaches and strawberries and ice-cream also. I was the only veggie (I really wish James would shut up about it) and therefore got to take the uneaten veggie burgers home. There were also tonnes of baps and rolls left, so various people grabbed them.