Wednesday 25 June 2003

Graduate Careers Fair today. I had down in my diary that it was at 1100, but Gavin said it was an early start so I got ready a bit earlier. Why do I listen to Gavin? Anyone? Needless to say I got to campus far too early, but that was okay as I felt I needed to pray anyway, and so I went to the chapel and did so. About ten minutes in a chap went upstairs and started playing the organ, which was nice. I stayed in the alcove lest they should feel self-conscious; they didn't have anyone to turn the page for one thing, but it was very good. They must have been practising for a wedding, because they played the wedding march at one point - it was a bit surreal.

A short time after 1100 I met John and Jenny in the foyer of the Great Hall, and we all wandered round upstairs collecting leaflets. I did pick up some stuff, but not much. Certainly nothing worth mentioning. It seems Ishould have been an engineer, a lawyer, or a financier. Silly of me really. There were also a couple of military stands. Gavin turned up in a suit at one point. It was mostly just the vendors that were dressed up. John and Jenny mentioned about going to the beach, so I agreed to tag along on that. I met Will and Rosie chatting to someone in DH, and then went home to have lunch.

Joe, John and I were well on time for getting the train, but Jenny and her friend Ali strolled onto the train at the last minute without buying tickets. We all got to Exmouth without police intervention however. We took quite an unusual route to the beach, but ended up at the usual place by the octagon. Joe wore a sleeveless top - very peculiar - and proceeded to complain about the sand, which is an odd thing to do upon coming to a large body of sand. It would be far more logical for the sand to complain about Joes coming along and sitting on it. For the purpose of fun, Jenny, after a brief diversion with Ali to buy some drink I think, returned with a beach ball. After some instructional prompting from Jo, who for some reason I haven't mentioned yet, Joe blew it up. And it proceeded to be thrown short distances guardedly, owing to the prominent wind. We didn't do much, but John made a sand fish. John and I went off to play crazy golf, and ended up grass-putting instead. John thinks putting through crazy obstacles is not as good as putting through formed patches of grass. It certainly turned out better for him. I forget the actual score, but on average I was about a stroke behind him on ever hole. John can't imagine me being competitive apparently. I shall show him on Firday when weplay badminton. I have to remind him, says he, Thursday evening. I've just remembered that I shall be out on Thursday evening, having a barbecue at Exmouth. What are the chances eh? Anyway, it's his own fault as he hasn't got a diary. My housemates keep asking me the time, as I have a wristwatch and they don't. Odd. When we got back to the beach, Jenny and Ali had left; they had things to do. Jo and Joe were picking up stuff from the cold, windy beach and it was starting to rain
so we entered the nearest pub; always politic. I had a Newky Brown. Joe's dad doesn't think it qualifies as real beer. After a while in the pub, Jo had to go home and get ready for work. She directed us to a toy shop where John bought a BB gun. Joe says that he spent a significant part of the evening shooting things and watching Friends - reminds me of someone...

Went to mass, and John came along too, only it was not mass, as there were only four of us who weren't a priest, and John and I aren't Catholics anyway. So instead we had [a?] liturgy of the word, which is sort of like a short, speculative bible study with liturgy; Genesis 15:1-18, Psalm 104, Matthew 7:15-20.